The "Make Primary" button in WordPress Categories is a useful tool that can help you organize your posts, improve your SEO, and make it easier for visitors to find your content.
When you create a new post in WordPress, you can assign it to one or more categories. The "Make Primary" button allows you to designate one of these categories as the main category for the post.
The "Make Primary" Button in WordPress Categories: What It Is and How to Use It
The "Make Primary" button in WordPress Categories allows you to designate one category as the main category for a post. This is useful for a number of reasons, including:
- It helps visitors find your posts. When visitors browse your website, they will see the primary category for each post in the breadcrumbs and in the URL. This makes it easy for them to find posts that are related to their interests.
- It helps search engines index your posts. Search engines use the primary category to determine how to categorize your posts. This can help your posts rank higher in search results for relevant queries.
- It helps you organize your posts. If you have a lot of posts, it can be helpful to group them by category. The primary category is a good way to do this.
For example, if you have a blog about cooking, you might have categories for different types of food, such as "appetizers," "main courses," and "desserts." You could then set the "appetizers" category as the primary category for all of your appetizer recipes. This would make it easy for visitors to find your appetizer recipes, and it would also help search engines index your appetizer recipes correctly.
To set a category as primary, simply select the category and click the "Make Primary" button. You can do this when you are creating a new post or editing an existing post.
When would not want to choose the "make primary"?
There are a few reasons why you might not want to choose the "Make Primary" button in WordPress Categories:
- If you want your posts to be categorized in multiple categories. You can still assign a post to multiple categories, even if you don't make one of them the primary category. This can be helpful if you want your posts to be found by people who are searching for different terms.
- If you want to control how your posts are displayed in the breadcrumbs and URL. The primary category is displayed in the breadcrumbs and URL by default. However, you can change this behavior in the WordPress settings.
- If you want to use a different taxonomy to organize your posts. WordPress also supports other taxonomies, such as tags and authors. You can use these taxonomies to organize your posts in different ways, and you don't have to use the "Make Primary" button for any of them.
Ultimately, the decision of whether or not to use the "Make Primary" button is up to you. There is no right or wrong answer, and it depends on your specific needs and preferences.
How to use the "Make Primary" button
To use the "Make Primary" button, simply follow these steps:
- Go to the Posts page in your WordPress dashboard.
- Click on the Edit link next to the post that you want to change the primary category for.
- In the Categories section, select the category that you want to make primary.
- Click on the Update button.
About the Author:
The SEO-Alien is a project started in 2009 regarding all things online marketing. The site started out more of a diary of predictions, suggestions and references to things I frequently used for online marketing... before social media marketing was even an option.
I hope you find the information and tools presented here useful and something worth sharing with others.
If there is anything else about online marketing or any online advertising strategy you think would be helpful, please let me know.