A few years ago, who’d have thought we’d be so concerned and infatuated with Penguins and Pandas!
If you are an online marketer, you are as aware as we are that anywhere from 85-95% of traffic comes from Google to your websites and/or blogs. There is every reason to be curious about Penguins and Pandas!
On April 24th, 2012, an algorithmic was introduced from Google that doesn't really improve search quality, but was designed to penalizes sites using tactics that Google deems ‘unethical’. These tactics are said to include:
- Low quality link building
- Over-optimization of anchor text
- Keyword stuffing (Hard to believe that people still do that!)
- Cloaking and doorway pages
- Over-publication of poor quality content, created purely for search engines
This is Google putting their foot down. Hard.
So what is the solution? Here are a few things you can work on:
- You need to be writing, shooting, producing, designing, curating and promoting content that is useful to your potential and existing customers
- You need to be generating social links to your site.
- You need to be building links through relationships with high quality publications where, believe it or not, your content will actually be read!
Build solid relationships with people on Twitter, Facebook and Youtube that have a strong social media influence... and do not be afraid if they are your biggest competitor. Chances are you will benefit from having that relationship because if they are a getting a big market-share of traffic, you can more or less piggy-back off of it.
However, to really capitalize, (or optimize) on these relationships, you have to have something that you can share that has value as well. This is why quality content writing and sharing is an imperative part of your online marketing strategies.
Appears that quality, unique, relevant content is
bigger than a Penguin or a Panda!
And if you are wondering what the "big boys" are doing, it is quality Content Marketing!
“The Content Marketing Explosion”, designed by Blue Glass Interactive and published by Mashable.com.
About the Author:
The SEO-Alien is a project started in 2009 regarding all things online marketing. The site started out more of a diary of predictions, suggestions and references to things I frequently used for online marketing... before social media marketing was even an option.
I hope you find the information and tools presented here useful and something worth sharing with others.
If there is anything else about online marketing or any online advertising strategy you think would be helpful, please let me know.