Last update: 12/06/12
Advertising your services and products on Facebook seems easy, but take the time to use basic advertising principles when you create your Facebook Page.
You know of Facebook for interacting socially and for promoting business brands. Did you know that you can also use it to advertise your products or services by knowing what’s effective and what isn't? The most basic advice is to create a great banner for your timeline. This is different from your company profile picture that shows up in all of your posts.
The timeline banner or ‘cover’ lies across the top of your page.It can show the essence of your business, but cannot contain specific text announcing prices or special deals. Make it count with an appropriate photo that will ingrain your product in the viewer’s minds.
However, before creating your page for your business, understand there are some pretty specific rules and policies that Facebook has regarding your cover banner images on your pages.
Facebook Cover Policies
- price or purchase information, such as "40% off" or "Download it on socialmusic.com";
- contact information such as a website address, email, mailing address, or information that should go in your Page's "About" section;
- references to Facebook features or actions, such as "Like" or "Share" or an arrow pointing from the cover photo to any of these features; or
- calls to action, such as "Get it now" or "Tell your friends."
Posting Hints for Your Business Page Timeline
Use individual posts, or status updates as they are called on Facebook. Create posts that serve as advertisement, but are not oblivious ads. Asking a pointed question of your readers can solicit a response mentality in readers. They may feel that they need to engage and read more. Studies show that a question asked in advertising nets a 30% better response. Include a call to action that requires readers to click a link, click on a button, or take action of some kind.
Get your reader to believe that there is an urgency of sorts in responding to your post. For example, you are running a 2 for 1 special, but they must order by midnight to receive the deal. Use simple wording and post an enticing photo. Have them click through to a web page connected by a link. Make sure your links always work, as they tend to become ‘broken’ and this will put off your potential customers.
Choosing the Right Color(s) for Your Facebook Business Page
The landing page that is connected by your Facebook link must be of good quality. Use consistency to create pages so visitors feel continuity as they move from your Facebook posts to the sales pages. Test your photos, logos, and even the colors and fonts you use to create your advertisements so you know which ones work best.
Each different type of business tends to have better response from potential clients according to the details of the ads. Bright red colors, for example, might have more appeal to those who seek adventure, but if you sell garden seeds the better color to use might be a more natural shade of greens or other colors found in nature.
It should be obvious by now that advertising on Facebook is not much different in the basics than advertising by print, by television ad, or by including your business in trade magazines.
Our Top Facebook Timeline Tips
1) Make a great 1st impression with an Outstanding Cover Photo!
2) Pin your most influential posts to the top of your page! It will stay up there for 7 days unless you swap it for different content
3) Post content that others want to share! Don’t expect your followers to share content that is not worth sharing.
4) Don't be afraid to re-post your biggest competitors content! Not only will your fans appreciate you more by posting valuable information from your competitors, but your share will also appear on their page causing more people to want to see who you are!
5) Reply To Wall Posts! Create a 'sense of community' with your fans by replying to their comments! It will make them feel appreciated and will encourage them to visit and post more often.
6) Add unique apps to your page! Here are two suggestions to start with:
a) Fan of the Week for Pages - Get more comments, posts, likes and fans for your Facebook page by installing the "Fan of the Week" page section. Every week one fan out of those who interacted with your page is picked as fan of the week, encouraging everyone to participate more.
b) Top Fans for Pages - Get more comments, posts, likes and fans for your Facebook page by installing the top fans tab on your page. Fans rise in rankings when they interact with your page, encouraging participation.